Kiliii Yuyan will be our guest this year
This year we are pleased to host Kiliii Yuyan. He will be giving an evening presentation about the Iñupiat on the North Slope of Alaska, where traditional skinboats (umiaqs) are still used to conduct the sacred bowhead whale hunt and subsistence hunting is still the way of life. You can see an intro to the whaling segment here: https://vimeo.com/168808961
Kiliii is an Indigenous (Nanai) photographer documenting wilderness and Native peoples and a Traditional kayak-builder. When not working for National Geographic he can be found building kayaks at Seawolf Kayak.
Kilii will be joining John Pedersen and Anders Thygesen as our special guests this year along with Dubside and Christoper Crowhurst.
What's Coming for Delmarva in 2016?
Registration is open!
What's coming for 2016, here's a preview:
- Anders is bringing his Iqyax (Baidarka) building class to Delmarva. The class will take place the week before and begin October 1, 2016 and go through the 6th or 7th if needed. Email us if you are interested. See the link in the next article below.
- John Pedersen is returning. Look for mentor training offerings with him on Thursday including some open water sessions. More info under the schedule section.
- Don Beale’s paddle making class will be back. Joanne Barta will be replacinge that old grey beard we had helping him this year. This class will be open to non-attendees, but attendees get perferance.
- The kayak build competition will return. We are sure this will become an annual Delmarvalous event.
- Tentative Class schedules and descriptions have been posted! Mike's got this!
- And this is only the beginning, more updates will be posted as they come together.
A Thousand Hands Ago
Anders will be bringing his Iqyax (Baidarka) building class to Delmarva. The class will take place the week before and begin October 1, 2016 and go through the 6th or 7th if needed. Email us if you are interested.
=====A Thousand Hands Ago=====
Over the course of three days, Danish kayak builder Anders Thygesen builds an Aleutian iqyax by the shore of his local lake. He reflects on the process of learning these skills from masters whom he has never met.
The 2015 Kayak Build Competition
Ralph Young has done a film on the 1st Annual Kayak Build Competition.
=====Thank You Ralph=====
Videos and Photo Albums
If you haven't seen Peter Gengler's tribute to this year's Delmarvalous Paddlers Retreat you must take a moment.2015 Delmarva Paddler's Retreat
=====Thank You Gengler=====
DJ has links to his wonderful images posted on his Favebook page. 2015 Images from DJ
Catriona has been collecting participant's photo posting on our FaceBook page. Delmarva on FaceBook